Wednesday, October 8, 2014

World's Biggest Things #2


Did you know Winnie-the-Pooh was a real bear? Did you also know that he was a Canadian bear who was born in the woods near White River, Ontario?

"Pooh" was actually a black bear cub who was captured by a trapper in 1914 and sold to a soldier from Winnipeg, Manitoba.  Lieutenant Harry Colebourn of the Canadian Army Veterinary Corps paid $20 for the bear and promptly fell in love with the little black bundle of fur. Other soldiers loved him, too but, as he got bigger, "Winnie" (named after Lt. Colebourn's hometown) started knocking down tents and causing other mischief. Reluctantly the soldier gave Winnie to the London Zoo for safekeeping.

Author A.A. Milne and his son Christopher were regular visitors at the zoo and they were so fond of Winnie that he became the subject of one of the world's most beloved children's books. (You can read more of that story on the town of White River's website.)

In 1992 a statue of Winnie-the-Pooh was unveiled at a park at the side of Highway 17 and has been a must-stop for kids of all ages as they travel the Trans Canada Highway.

We stopped in for a photo op (and a pee break) on our way to Ontario this August. In the photo, from left, is Angus, Sam, Misty and Dave.


View Larger Map

16 comments:

  1. I had no idea he was based on a real bear. I knew Smokey the Bear was real, but not Winnie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been in White River, and knew the connections to the story. Good shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great read! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Misty's sticking her tongue out!! LMAO That's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew it was based on a real bear but I had no idea it was a Canadian bear. We do get around don't we lol?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just a little black rain cloud.
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who knew there was such a backstory of a real Winnie?! Precious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was passed the baton for a writing hop and I have answered the four questions about writing and have now passed the baton to you. Should you accept, you'll find the questions at Grinding My Grits!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Huh. I never picked up Pooh's Canadian accent!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know the story well, having been through White River on a number of occasions. But never in the winter. Fortunately.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't be silly. Pooh came from Ashdown Forest in Sussex England. We used to live just a few miles away, and knew his family well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow I had no idea!! I wish to send this to some friends. May I?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had no idea! Incidently I'm in the hospital and the husband was kind enough to leave me my kindle. I finished your book and LOVED it!!! I'll send a review your way when I get home.

    ReplyDelete

How's it going, eh? It's SO good to hear from you. Tell me every darn thing...