I was... eventually... I'm not the quickest runner off the mark with anything but like a big, slow boat I eventually make the turn and face the direction I need to go.
Just gotta say how pleased I was to see my name on your list for this sweet little cupcake of an award. Hey, and I'm loving what you're doing with that seafaring contest over yonder on that happy blog of yours. For those who want to join the fun, one of Newfoundland's most famous bloggists (the other is Alan Davidson, of course) is hosting a two-sided contest. For the writers amongst us, concoct a 500 word story involving the sea. For the readers, merely use the word 'yarn' in any comment on any of Laurita's blog posts in the next few weeks. Go to Brain Droppings blog for all the details. While you're there, read the poem her Dad wrote. And read some of her stories. She is a wonderful writer.
OK enough butt-kissing.
Laurita wants to know 10 things that make me happy. So here goes:
1. This community of writers I have recently discovered makes me happy. Deliriously so. They/you occupy my thoughts and my days and continually inspire me. Because of you, I am joining a local writers' group and will be taking part in the Muskoka Novel Marathon, something that scares the very crap out of me but, what the heck. (More on that later.)
2. Planning my wedding makes me happy. I ordered my wedding dress last week. Online, no less. But I figure since I met Dave online, it only makes sense to get the dress there, too. Go here if you want to check it out. (But don't show Dave, k?) And I've got a great wedding photographer booked. Erin is amazing. Check out her Trash the Dress photos. Dave has ordered his suit, the church is booked, my cousin Mandy will be doing the flowers because she is AWESOME and my friend Leah will be doing the cake because she, too, is AWESOME. Most awesome of all, my friend Vic will be doing much of the service. Vic is going to be studying to become a lay minister with the United Church and she is funny as hell so I am looking forward to what she has to say. I told her I want it to be like a eulogy, only without us dead. The Raneys, Tammy and Richard, are standing up for us (little sweethearts they are) and our children will form the rest of the bridal party... Angus and Sam, our kids, and Emily and Megan, theirs. Oh, we're getting married Sept. 25 in Bracebridge. Y'all are invited, hear?
3. Coffee makes me happy. Even though Sam spilled an entire mug of it on me just minutes ago.
4. My treadmill makes me happy. I used to hate exercise. Still do. But with the treadmill, I. AM. AN. ATHLETE.
5. My job makes me happy. Most days. When it doesn't, I hate it with a passion.
6. Mexican taco dip makes me happy. With diet pepsi and lots of ice. Popcorn also makes me happy. As does cheesecake, oh, I almost forgot cheesecake.
7. Fishing makes me happy, as long as I don't have to touch the fish, or eat the fish, or touch the bait.
8. Camping. Oh, how I love camping. We were going to go somewhere corny like Niagara Falls for our honeymoon but we decided to go camping instead. Last Thanksgiving our whole family got together on a trip, cooked the turkey outdoors, the whole nine yards. Canoeing also makes me happy. I am a northern girl.
9. My family makes me happy. Dave is a hunk of burning love. My kids like me most days. You know, when I'm not torturing them.
10. My life makes me happy. I am loving it right now. This year I turn 50 and I am as happy now as I have ever been. You get to this stage in life and you like who you are and what you're doing and you don't give a shit what anyone thinks about it. I am becoming Maxine, that greeting card grump, and I am happy about that.
11. I'm adding an extra number here just to say that MY MOM makes me happier than anybody in the whole darn world! She is the bestest mother ever and I don't know what I'd do without her. Loves ya, babe!
I would like to see makes these people happy:
Mark Champion Man Island
CJ Hodges-MacFarlane Mostly Other Things
Lou Freshwater Baby's Black Balloon
Lynda at Much Ado About Anything
Deb at My Great White North
Mark Kerstetter The Bricoleur
Allan Davidson Conversations From Land's Edge
I would like to add Anton Gully to this list because he hates any kind of award and he's always so damn grumpy I'd like to know if anything at all makes this man happy.