Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Prayers for Japan


What to say?
That, like everyone else, I'm devastated by what's going on in Japan? I mean, doesn't that practically go without saying? I watch the news and my stomach does backflips. I'm as afraid of a nuclear disaster as I've ever been afraid of anything.
No longer can we ever be lulled by the 'experts' who say, "nuclear power is safe." Because it isn't.
No matter what we do to try and buffet our nuclear facilities from Mother Nature (Japan) and from our own mistakes (Chernobyl), we can't prevent these disasters. We can not built an absolute earthquake-safe nuclear facility. If nothing else, this fresh horror in Japan is living, dying proof of our arrogance.
Reminds me of the oil spill in the Gulf a few months back. Oil companies promise they can pump and deliver oil without hurting the environment but their promises have proved, time and again, to be empty and worthless.
Dave and I were talking about the nuclear meltdown in Japan and he said, "People complain about wind turbines but, you know what? In an earthquake, the turbine falls down and, unless you happen to be directly underneath it, you won't get hurt."
The same can't be said of nuclear generating stations.
I think the world should stand up and say NO MORE nuclear power.
If present alternatives aren't enough, more alternatives need to be found.

Of course, more than anything, I want to reach out to the people of Japan. I can't even imagine what they are going through.
Sending our prayers, sending our money, it's all needed.
If you are Canadian, go to the Canadian Red Cross website here. If you don't feel comfortable donating money online, go to your bank. Financial institutions all over the country are accepting donations for the Red Cross effort to help Japan.
Google has set up a detailed resources site here, where you can donate directly to the Japanese Red Cross.

Many of my online friends are also doing what they can to help. Linda over at Leftbrainwrite is offering to give one dollar for every comment she receives on her post "After the Shock." Go. Leave a comment. It won't cost you a dime.

6 comments:

  1. i couldn't agree more. Praying hard for Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so heartbreaking - whole towns have been wiped out as if they never existed...my heart is with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is heartbreaking. Just one thing leading to another in a horrific chain reaction. Thank you for the link to the red cross. Hopefully many people will be moved to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Cathy! I'm with Dave on wind driven power as well as more solar power. There have certainly been advancements in the harnessing of either and with the price of oil continuing upwards it is more cost effective than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm like you, I feel so awful for the people of Japan. And I don't think another Power Plant like that should be built until it can withstand a quake of 11.0! Definitely sending them my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

How's it going, eh? It's SO good to hear from you. Tell me every darn thing...