Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Driving Miss Cathy



Weird, today is. My last morning going to work for almost a month.

It's my eyes, you see. Can't see a bloody thing. Well, I can see you but I can't see the expression on your face. I can't see road signs anymore – they're just a dangerous blur. And I definitely can't see what's on my computer screen, no matter how big I blow it up.

Cataracts. In both eyes. I'm 51, for crissakes. Who gets cataracts when they're 51? Actually my uncle was still in his '40s when he had his done, so it runs in my family and it's not unheard of. Still, my husband's aunt, who is in her '80s, just had hers done.

I figured something was amiss last spring but I didn't suspect cataracts. I just thought my glasses were FUBAR and my prescription had changed. You could have blown me over with a feather when the optometrist said, "You have cataracts in both eyes and they're the fast-growing kind. I want to keep close tabs on them. Come back and see me in six months."

"I'm old," I whined. "It's official."

It was apparent to the optometrist that my cataracts had gotten substantially worse when I went back for the six month check-up. There was none of the debate I expected: "Well, they're bad but you can probably wait for a couple of years." Nope. She said, "Let's get you in to see a surgeon as soon as possible."

That was in September. Now, Canada has an excellent health plan but non-emergency surgery does take time to arrange. First the doc has to find room on his schedule for a consult. Then there are tests and more tests, blah-dee-blah. Finally I got a date for surgery – Feb. 7.

Meanwhile, my eyes are rapidly getting worse. It's a good thing I'm a touch-typist because otherwise I wouldn't know what I was writing. (And thank gawd for spell check and blowing up your screen 200%.) Part of my job is adjusting photographs at work. Usually I'm pretty good at it – my colleagues often give me the worst photos that need the most touch-ups. Funny thing is, I can't see what I'm doing at all. Only a bazillion years of experience tells me I'm in the ballpark.

We got a 50" plasma TV before Christmas (I know, crazy eh?) and I keep asking Dave, "Is it clear?" Because it looks terrible to me. He assures me it's fantastic.

I rely on other people to drive me everywhere.

I can't read labels at the supermarket.

Finally I decided, enough is fecking enough. So I arranged to be off on short-term disability until after my surgery.

I feel kind of icky about it. Guilty. But also vaguely exhilarated. I mean, come on, the last time I had a month off was when I had my babies. This time there's no labour pains and diapers to change.

Anyway, I should go. My ride will show up any minute to drive Miss Daisy to work. She's no Morgan Freeman but I surely do appreciate her kindness.

22 comments:

  1. Enjoy being chauffeured around for a while. And insist the driver wear one of those nifty little hats.

    My oldest daughter had a cataract removed when she was a year old. So instead of feeling old, you could feel like a baby...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now there's some thinking, Laurita!
      (Can she see OK now?)

      Delete
  2. Well now we can get together for a coffee for sure! I'll come to your place AND bring the coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES please! That's an awesome idea. But you don't have to bring the coffee-- I have a stash of your favourite Muskoka Maple flavour.

      Delete
  3. Oh my! That sounds difficult. Kudos to you for taking the time off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer. Hubby has them developing as well but so far it is just a minor inconvenience. I imagine it is going to get pretty bad before they agree to work on them. Once you get them operated on you will be good as new. In the meantime, enjoy the time off, blow that screen up good and big and write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...a necessary evil, I suppose. Think of ALL that writing time you'll have in that month off for recuperation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee, I hadn't thought about that at all... never crossed my mind...

      Delete
  6. A WHOLE MONTH OFF! HOT-DIGGIDY-DOG!! Cathy, I'm so sorry you're getting off from work under these circumstances. In a few weeks you'll have brand new eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW, I KNOW, I KNOW!
      (Now I have a craving for hot dogs....)

      Delete
  7. Enjoy your month off, hope the surgery gets done quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear, an entire month off? the world will look brand-spanking new. Goodluck with the surgery. I'm driving my mom for the same later this month. Peace...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See? You're driving your MOM! (I am way too young for this....)

      Delete
  9. Think of it as a holiday and when you've had your op you will feel so much better. I think it's rather spiffing to have a chauffeur. Good luck with the surgery life will take on a whole new perspective for you! ^__^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, Helen! I do wish it was summer, however (unlike in your neck of the woods). I find sunning at the beach a trifle chilly this time of year.

      Delete
  10. After the surgery you will be amazed at how beautiful the world looks! Relax and enjoy this "down time", sleep in, make cups of tea, enjoy the rides!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My father had cataracts and was so thrilled when they were removed! He said it was better than the best gift he had ever been given! I hope it is the same for you.

    ReplyDelete

How's it going, eh? It's SO good to hear from you. Tell me every darn thing...