Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Next Big Thing


Do you like playing tag? I think I did at one time, when I was young and had good knees and could run around the yard yelling like a banshee. These days the only tag I play is in blogland, mostly because I can do it whilst sitting on my large white arse and still yell like a banshee. Whatever a banshee is.
I was tagged by Helen Howell to answer the following ten questions about my work in progress. Below the questions and answers, you’ll find a link to Helen’s answers and a list of the three people I’ve tagged. If and when they post their answers, I'll link to those people as well.

Woo HOO! Let the tagging begin!

Ten Interview Questions for The Next Big Thing

What is the working title of your book?
Weezie Polk's Man Lessons

Where did the idea come from for the book?
When I went through a bad marriage break-up, wound up spending a night in jail for thwacking my ex with a Dr. Seuss book, biting a cop, earning a criminal record and losing main custody of my children as a result, I decided to write a book about it – especially because I came across so many other women embroiled in the criminal justice system, who were in the same boat as me. I wanted to write it as a warning so the same thing wouldn't happen to others.

What genre does your book fall under?
No genre. It's just a book.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
Ha! We talked about this at my writers group recently and we all thought Melissa McCarthy, the Academy Award winner from Bridesmaids, would be perfect. In fact, I am so tempted to send her my manuscript and get her working on it!

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Life was pretty normal for Weezie Polk until her husband cheated – then she bit a cop, spent a harrowing night in jail, lost her children and began an extraordinary, pie-filled journey to find her way again.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
I'm going to try the traditional route first but if I don't have any luck within a set time - possibly a year - I'm going to self-publish. I'm too old to wait longer than that!

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
It took two years but I wrote in bursts. Most of it was written during Nanowrimo last year.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
It reminds me of The Help, only without black maids and a civil rights movement! Seriously though, it has the same theme - of real women facing adversity. Of friendship. Of heroic gestures and brave deeds.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?
I would never have started writing fiction at all, period, if it wasn't for CJ Hodges-MacFarlane from Minnesota. I found her blog one day while surfing and read a story she had written for Friday Flash. I was so dazzled by her talent that I initiated a cyber conversation with her and we became friends. It was CJ who encouraged me to write a Friday Flash story and I can't thank her enough. I was also inspired and encouraged by the women in my writers group: Paula Boon, Dawn Huddlestone, Sasha Pringle and Linda McLean. And my husband, Dave, of course. Dave always pushes me to "get busy and get writing" because he knows how lazy I am.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
There's pie! Lots of pie! And recipes! My story started from a real life event but it took on a mind of its own and truly became a work of fiction when Weezie starts Grandma Bean's Bakery. I love this part of the book - it's so homey and adventurous. And don't forget - there's pie!

And now for the tagging:

I would love to tag the women in my group because they all have fabulous works in progress, but they don't blog so they're safe! 

In that case I'm going to tag some of my favourite writers I've met during my Friday Flash days:

Laurita Miller John Wiswell

To see Helen Howell's answers, click here.


26 comments:

  1. And I bet it will have moments of sheer genius humor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty funny. Well, at least I think it's funny... I'm HOPING it's funny!

      Delete
  2. I've got a very close friend who would definitely find a certain joy in reading your book. A few things similar, like the thwacking of the ex...except she used a golf club :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your book description reminds me of women's fiction, along the line of Joshilyn Jackson. And yes I know, she's southern fiction and you're not but still. :)

    (If you haven't read her, I recommend starting with my favorite, BACKSEAT SAINTS.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall check it out, Madeline! Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Wow, I just read the first chapter of her book "A Grown Up Kind of Pretty" and, wow, is she ever good. I only WISH I could write like she does. I am going to have to buy some of her books, for sure. Thanks for the heads-up, Madeline!

      Delete
  4. You got me "hooked" when you mentioned "recipes", you KNOW it ! and the part where Dave pushes you out of laziness, that got my attention too! Ha! I want to see what you can do when you are pushed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. World's best meat loaf recipe, Cindy! I'm not exaggerating!

      Delete
  5. Oh my what ambition. I guess I fall in the old fart category but I am able to enjoy blog but not so much tag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Heidrun, I'm TOTALLY in the old fart category! Like, moldering, dessicated farts!

      Delete
  6. I can't wait to read it too. PIE!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pie is not only nectar of the gods, it's the very reason for our existence. Life without pie would be Life of Pi, only with more cinnamon and fewer pages.

      Delete
    2. NOW i KNOW the actress that WILL play you!
      and it will be Michelle Dockery FROM DOWNTON ABBEY
      GOOGLE HER
      X

      Delete
    3. John, she's SKINNY! (But thank you, I'm totally flattered.)

      Delete
  7. Love this next big thang of yours. The title, the character, the storyline--it all sounds sooooo.... Cathy! Seriously, I can't wait to read. Let me know if you need a beta reader. Peace...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a fun book Cathy - I wish you every success with it! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in full wussy mode today. I wept and smiled my way through your synopsis for goodness sakes. I do that in books often, but in a synopsis? One that I knew? I have obviously lost the plot - just as you obviously found a fine strong one. You know that I want an autographed copy I assume?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed your hard-sell on pie at the end. Maybe you could work out a voucher program for a free slice of pie with every hardcover sale? Talk about trumping e-books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And while I'm pretty distracted with the funeral and all right now, I will endeavor to play along ASAP. Thanks for naming me, Cathy!

      Delete
  11. This sounds really, really WEIRD. I like it! Just the sort of reading I enjoy! :)

    Thanks for tagging me. Here is the link to my post:
    http://www.ganymeder.com/writing-corner/the-next-big-thing-pegasi-dont-sleep

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thwacking the ex must, of course, incorporate Green Eggs and Ham as the book in question.

    ReplyDelete

How's it going, eh? It's SO good to hear from you. Tell me every darn thing...