Monday, March 18, 2013

Me, myself and my movie date



Ever been to a movie by yourself? Takes a lot of guts, doesn't it? I've only done it two or three times in my entire, long, painfully-long, life and most times it was hard to enjoy the movie because I was so worried about everybody thinking that I was such a loser that I couldn't get a date.

Well I went to the show by myself last night and you know what? I didn't feel like a loser at all.

I took myself out to dinner at McDonald's first. Wolfed down some McNuggets with the Sunday Star. It was really nice, spending some time reading the newspaper. Relaxing. When I was done, I drove over to the theatre, found a good parking spot, bought my ticket and some popcorn and found a primo spot to sit down. There was hardly anyone else in the building. In fact, I was the only person in the room until about five minutes before showtime. I relaxed in my seat, stared at the blank screen and daydreamed. It was ... nice.

In fact, it was so nice that I won't have any qualms about doing it again. I'm a good date, if I do say so myself. Good company, and a cheap date, too.

By the way, the movie I saw was Snitch, starring Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson. I wasn't expecting much, believe me – that guy is not my favourite actor by any means. But you know what? It was really good. The story was engrossing... the trucker sequences were edge-of-the-seat exciting ... I got all emotional at the end ... and Johnson proved he had real acting chops. I was impressed, and after seeing almost all the Academy Award movies this year, I'm not easy to impress.

Loved Barry Pepper in this movie. He is terrific in everything, even in a funky ZZ Top beard. It didn't hurt that he drove a hot rod Chrysler throughout the flick and, I can't help it, I'm a Chrysler chick.




14 comments:

  1. You ROCK!! I love going to the movies by myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, glad you treated yourself to dinner and a movie! I couldn't do the dinner alone, but I have gone to the theater by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done the eating out and movie thing a few times and I think it's a treat to have a night out by myself. Of course I have two young children so alone time, no matter what, is treasured. I'm glad it was a good experience for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave had best take care. You may start to enjoy being on your own lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be seeing Lincoln by myself soon; even if I have to get it from the Library.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's funny... almost HALF of all the time I go to the movies, it's by me onesy. Sometimes friends can't meet up, so I just go alone. But I'm never lonely. The characters of the film I find myself engrossed in usually see to that within the first few minutes. :) Last movie I saw solo: "Oz The Great And Powerful". It was marvelous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to go to the movies by myself all the time....and enjoyed it immensely!

    You never have to wait on anyone, you go at your pace, see what you want, etc. etc...

    Sometimes, it's a nice getaway :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've gone to the movies alone a few times and it doesn't bother me at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't remember the last time I went to the movies. Books for me, every time. I need to be able to stop and think about things, and then continue on. You can't do that at the movies, and it doesn't please other people much if you are watching a DVD either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love going on dates with myself. You're right, sometimes we are the best company. Also, you make the movie sound good. I'm not a fan of the actor either but I love a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw this by myself too and thought it was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now hold on… I've been to several movies by myself! Perhaps the most memorable was 9 to 5, the summer I was in Minneapolis. I also went to see The Last Starfighter by myself, in the first few months after moving to Planet Georgia. I was surprised that it wasn't that bad a movie, just a little cheesy. I figured it was just going to be a 3D extravaganza with no plot or characters.

    As long as you had a good time, no problemo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just started feeling ok about dining in public alone (well, nowhere fancy yet). My husband goes to the movies alone on occasion because his tastes are radically different from mine, and I go to the movies so infrequently that I don't have the patience to see something I might not enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll often go to the movies on my own, particularly if I'm taking in a matinee.

    Barry Pepper's one of those actors who's compelling in whatever he does. Though not Battlefield Earth, but fortunately that only destroyed Travolta's career.

    ReplyDelete

How's it going, eh? It's SO good to hear from you. Tell me every darn thing...