Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Trout Lilies

SPRING HAS SPRUNG on the river.
This evening I lay down in a bed of dogtooth violets and watched the azure sky. The blackflies and mosquitoes are out but there are blessedly few of them and they are docile and sleepy.
The violets were a surprise.
When you buy a home each new season unveils its own mysteries and spring's surprises are the sweetest. Tiger lilies are growing at the front, irises at the riverbank and, under the dappled shade in the backyard, a patch of yellow dogtooth violets, or trout lilies as they are also known.
They are the faeries of the forest; tiny wee treasures wearing dazzling yellow coats to keep them snug on frosty spring nights.

7 comments:

  1. Flowers amaze me, such variety and stark beauty. We (humans) give them pretty fun names, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love days like that. Or evenings. I remember watching my boys catching fireflies and giggling as the sunset last summer. Lazy, warm, contented days bring out the sentimental fool in me, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like Ontario is quickly headed to summer. If I lay down by the river, I'd be swept away by it's swell from all the rain; I could not see the azure because of the heavy fog. And a seagull would probably crap on me as well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spring. I come back to life in spring after a long dull dormant state that takes over my being in winter. The sound of the spring peepers tigger my rejuvination followed by the new growth from the earth and the bright colours sputing from the dull. Yay!! Spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Send some spring to me, please! This sounds heavenly. I love your description of the trout lilies as faeries. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Cath, Liked your blog. The dog-toothed violets are also known as adders tongues. I'm enjoying my dandelions. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - that sounds idyllic *sigh* You made me enjoy spring a bit more.

    ReplyDelete

How's it going, eh? It's SO good to hear from you. Tell me every darn thing...