Sunday, March 20, 2011

Prophecy Moon


Late last summer I won Laura Eno's newest-at-the-time novel Prophecy Moon.
I think I had to flatter her more than anyone else to win it and, being as full of crap as I am, verbage-wise, it was an easy win.
Dutifully Laura autographed it, wrapped it up in safe packaging, went through all the rigamarole that sending anything across the border to Canada entails, and sent it on his way from Florida all the way to beautiful boonied Bracebridge, Ontario. I was so excited when I went to the post office one day and there it was.
  I read the first chapter right away and thought, wow, that is good! Then life got in the way. Wedding plans, the honeymoon, blogging, getting sick, it all added up to me not getting back to Laura's book the way I should have. Fact is, I hadn't read a book for so long it was downright embarrassing. Sure, I was reading every day, but I couldn't get around not picking up a book and sinking it into it the way I used to - the way I loved.
Every time I read Laura's blog I felt guilty that I hadn't read Prophecy Moon yet. She was probably wondering what the hold-up was.
Then, one day a few weeks ago, a friend at work brought in her Kindle. Now I had heard plenty about these little e-book-reading gadgets but never felt moved to buy one for myself until I laid eyes on Cathy Black's. Its matte screen, its adjustable type-size, its light weight, its smart leatherette case with built-in reading light, it all added up to love at first sight. I ordered one right away and the first book I downloaded was Prophecy Moon.
(The second book I downloaded was Shannon Esposito's Strange New Feet. I had purchased Shannon's book months and months earlier to read on my computer but, like everything else, I never got around to it. I promise you, Shannon, yours is on deck.)
I'm happy to say I finished Prophecy Moon no more than an hour ago and it was everything I knew it was going to be: exciting, romantic, well-written, hard to put down. The hero, Travis, is a deeply flawed character who has to fulfill his heroic destiny but with no idea how to go about it. His love interest, the equally heroic Elessa, is everything Travis is not. She is a walking, talking soldier with the soul of Mother Earth and the looks of a goddess. They are joined by a merry band of clever characters, all with various powers and magic skills.
You see, this isn't any average adventure - this is a Laura Eno book and, while it doesn't have Death, Chronos or Mr. Fluffy, it does weave some clever and dark fantasy into the romantic/sci fi mix. For this reason the book will appeal to many different people. My mother would love the romantic angle. My husband would dig the fantasy/science fiction. I appreciate how it all blends together so seamlessly and keeps me at the edge of my seat.
All in all, I can't figure out what took me so long to get around to it. Regardless, it was SO worth the wait.
If you'd like to pick up your own copy there are many places to go. Laura has a list of sites available at her own blog http://lauraeno.blogspot.com/p/books.html.

12 comments:

  1. I'm reading Don't Fall Asleep by Laura right now. I'm only about 30% in but you can really tell the sci-fi comes naturally to her. I'm enjoying it. Prophecy Moon is on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want a Kindle :( I have to read the new-old fashion way...on the computer. But since I love to read in bed at night, I don't get to put in the time I would like to read Laura's books.
    But I will get around to it, because I love the way she writes.
    Oh and yes, you kissed ass better than all of us last summer to get the book.

    Pamela Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a recent Kindle-convert. I still love the smell and feel of ink and paper, but I have to admit that the Kindle has helped me put a dent in my to-read pile. (I later wind up buying the hard copies of the books I fall in love with :D)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Cathy! I'm thrilled that you enjoyed it! *jumping up and down with a lampshade on my head!*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to read it either!
    *jumping up and down with anxiety* ;D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a fun read. I love your excitement! I don't have a Kindle or any other e-reader at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like a great read, Cathy!!

    PS (Sorry I haven't been around much lately. Been in the writing and [movie-watching] cave.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read it and really enjoyed it. I seem to remember I was inspired to buy it partly by the photo of you enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laura is a great writer! And you are a great reviewer. This line would make anybody want to read the book: "She is a walking, talking soldier with the soul of Mother Earth and the looks of a goddess."

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad to see Laura receive a great review for her work. I love her flash fiction. She's an excellent writer and I wish her only the best success!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for the wonderful comments! And Cathy, you're the greatest!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, yeah, Laura... whatever *big smile*
    Hugs, babes!

    ReplyDelete

How's it going, eh? It's SO good to hear from you. Tell me every darn thing...