Tuesday, April 17, 2012

A to Z Honesty - O is for own

The Gotye guy

I hate it when I really like a song and somebody swoons and says, sigh, "that's my song," and I'm, like, FECK, you mean to say it already belongs to somebody else? I just heard it! I just fell in love with it! How could anyone else possibly own it in such a short time?

I want my own song. Is that too much to ask? *sulking, here*

These very thoughts, these very petulant thoughts, were running through my noodle last night as I took a pre-dinner stroll on the treadmill. (How chaste am I - not only did I do a half hour on the exercise bike in the morning, I also did a half hour on the old mill before din-din. Yes, like Ahnold, I AM AN ATHLETE. Yeah. Right. More like a fat middle-aged woman trying to reclaim a semblance of fitness before she falls face first in a pot of cheesecake and drowns in her own own lactose.)

The song that's been running through my head, rather like a treadmill now that I think of it, is Somebody That I Used To Know by Gotye. I hadn't even heard the song until American Idol last week when it was sung as a duet by Elise and the guy with two first names, Phil-Phillips. I loved the song so much that I went immediately to iTunes and bought it – this is remarkable only because it was the first song I had ever bought from iTunes. I didn't even have an account until that moment.

So, yeah, I was loving it fierce.

I wouldn't say it is "my" song but it does apply to a lot of stuff in my life. I was thinking, as I was treadmilling, about doing a picture blog with photos from my life that apply to lyrics in the song. But, feck, that sounded like way too much work. Besides, what's the point? Recriminations are pointless. Move on, I say. Get on with life – it's too effing short to waste on the festering toxicity of resentment.



***

Speaking of OWN, Oprah Winfrey is in Toronto today. That's just a couple hours down the road from my home sweet home where I'm waiting with bated breath for Mizz Oprah to show up on my doorstep and surprise me. She always does that, right? Shows up and surprises people? I figure since I blogged about her when she retired from her last show that she's got a firecracker up her butt to meet me in person.
Photo, Toronto Star
Not one to be caught with my pants down (actually that's a bald-faced lie, I'm always caught that way), I'm sitting here in my best dress, waiting for the doorbell to ring. My legs are shaved, the bathtub drain is clogged, my hairdo is done and my make-up is sufficiently made up. I've wrapped a towel around me to ward off wayward clouds of cat hair and, in fact, am quite ready for my one-on-one with the Queen of daytime TV.

She'll be here any minute now. Any minute.

*checks watch*

Any.

Fecking.

Minute.

***
Did I know there was a Canadian version of Somebody That I Used to Know? NO!!!! Not till Jeannie and Tim (see their comments, below) told me about them.

Guess what? The version from Walk Off The Earth is fantastic! So, here – The Canuck cover. Enjoy!!!

44 comments:

  1. Cathy, you crack me up. Consistently and thoroughly.

    I really like that song too. The kids are doing it in the show this year (which is coming up in early May). Sounds fab-u-lous. I say grab that song and make it yours. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found that song too and love it. Haa that cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found that song a few weeks ago - covered by some Canadians - you must check them out - Walk the Earth - I am stuck on them now. That is just one of those songs that everyone has to love and no one can do badly. A statement of the human condition. We all own it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "We all own it." Wise words, Jeannie. And I'm gonna go right now, this minute, and listen to Walk the Earth.

      Delete
  4. I really like the cover by Walk Off the Earth too. As cool as Gotye's video may be, they put a unique touch on it. It's at http://youtu.be/d9NF2edxy-M

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just saw Goyte on Saturday Night Live this past weekend-awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have a song. I love too many of them to claim one as my own. As for Oprah Winfrey - - you can have her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I can? Thanks Judy!!! Oh boy! I get an Oprah!!! WOOT!

      Delete
  7. LOL! Loved reading this. Let me know when Oprah comes. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha! Love that video! I had to share it on facebook!

    Hope your wait isn't in vain! She's coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, Betty! My dress is getting all wrinkly and my leg hair is regrowing... plus, I think there's broccoli between my teeth.. feck...

      Delete
  9. He reminds me a lot of a younger Sting! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does! In fact, I saw a comparison of the two musicians while I was googling for a photo and, voila, they're sameys!

      Delete
  10. Ha ha ha! :)

    "More like a fat middle-aged woman trying to reclaim a semblance of fitness before she falls face first in a pot of cheesecake and drowns in her own own lactose."

    Okay, I think I got enough exercise from laughing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oprah just texted me. She's coming... and bringing Gayle. I hope you prepared a good spread for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, Patty? Really really? (So excited I just peed my pants)

      Delete
  12. I love that Gotye song, can it be mine when your done with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok Sara, but only if you beg and cry and say puhleeeese.... oh, and bring cheesecake. I'll trade anything for cheesecake.

      Delete
  13. What a funny post, you cracked me up with the middle-aged fat woman thing.I should be so fit (working out twice in one day-good for you). I must live in a cave because I had never heard of this song until today, but I just listened to it and loved it. So now whose song is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Melissa, I think I just traded it to Sara (Lee?) for cheesecake but since I "cracked you up" you definitely get it next.

      Delete
  14. Well, yes, I think she'll be there soon, so get off the fecking computer already! Oh, and you love that song, do you? Yeah, that's my song. ;)

    I'm sure I have a song...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm off, I'm off!
      No, wait, I'm on!
      (I'm so excited I don't know WHAT I'm doing... feckitty-feck-feck...)

      Delete
  15. I'm also a big fan of this song. Not a fan of Oprah, especially since Hugh Jackman (who I am WAY too fond of) got hurt filming a clip for her show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that episode! Poor Hugh! I totally would have kissed all his boo-boos.. over and over and over again... *wiping drool off my keyboard*

      Delete
  16. Snickering here too. And I so understand about the patina of cat fur. It is on every surface, no matter how I clean. Including under the toilet seat. WTF, how did it get there? But it is there. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LAUGHING OUT LOUD - under the TOILET seat??????
      HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's seriously the funniest thing I've heard all day... wait till I tell my husband - cat hair drives him NUTS!

      Delete
  17. I absolutely LOVE that song and yeah, me too - heard it for the first time on Idol. I LOVE Elise too! Thanks for following my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Elise too! She's my favourite of the girl singers, especially since they knocked Erika Van Pelt off, who was my real and true favourite... Wow! I thought I was the only one on the planet who hadn't heard that song! You and me, Jess, living in caves...

      Delete
  18. Where's the fecking "Like" button here??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm with Lisa, where's that button?! Great post. New follower from the A to Z and loving what you wrote.
    A2ZMommy and What’s In Between

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Tracy, thanks for being all adorable! Guess I gotta go find a button.... I hear FB rents 'em out by the hour....

      Delete
  20. I love both versions of that song. It has literally been stuck in my head for weeks now.

    Lisa
    http://livethemoment09.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. ok, so this song plays on the radio everyday on my way to work and i keep on thinking that i'll google it when i get in to see what it's all about and then the second i get in the building and forget. it reminds me of about 8 million songs from the '80s and the first few times i heard it i thought it was a flashback song that i didn't remember...

    um...

    all this to say, that i'm glad that i'm trolling your post to find this song...by a band whose name i can't pronounce, but, at least i now know who they are! :D

    ReplyDelete

How's it going, eh? It's SO good to hear from you. Tell me every darn thing...